Tonic syrup recipe
For those who prefer to buy ready-made products, please read the article listing Canadian companies since #EachPurchaseLocalAccount !
For about 3.2 liters of syrup, bring 2 liters of water to a boil.
Once at the boil continue on low heat.
• 1 tablespoon of chamomile.
• 1 teaspoon of lavender.
• 2 tablespoons of quinine bark.
• 4 open dates.
• 5 apricots, dehydrated and open.
• A whole file pressed by hand and put the skin in the mixture.
• A whole tangerine pressed by hand and put the skin in the mixture.
• A whole grapefruit squeezed by hand and put the skin in the mixture.
• 50 ml (1.5 oz) of orange blossom water.
• 2 spoons of citric acid.
Infuse over low heat for 10 minutes.
Add 2 kilos of sugar and dilute the mixture well.
Let sit until the mixture is at room temperature and filter 2 to 3 times. You will see that chamomile remains.
For 3 liters, add 120 ml (4 ounces) of vodka as a preservative.
You are invited to taste the recipe to balance the tonic to your taste with a little more quinine, sugar or citric acid, and if you really like the bitterness you can add a little bit of gentian and root. ‘angelic.
And don’t forget, quinine is not recommended for pregnant women!